Ben Banks is a 2012 independent American comedy-drama and the directorial debut of Bryce Clark. The film stars Mischa Barton, Melora Hardin and Katharine Towne.
- The film is also being marketed as Beauty and the Least in some international territories and for the US video release.
- The film received a limited theatrical release in the United States on 7 December 2012.
- Ben Banks, the 28-year-old journalism student, is a stoner who constantly avoids responsibility and happens to be on the 12 year plan at the local two year community college.
- The film is based on a junior communication major at Dixie State College of Utah, Ben Banks, a real-life acquaintance of Clark’s.
- They had worked together on a commercial and Banks made an impression on the filmmaker.
- Banks later shared stories of his life experience and Clark developed these into a fact and fiction based screenplay.
- Ben Banks plays himself in the movie.
- The film has a subtle religious theme that reflects Clark’s own experience of leaving and coming back to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and his struggle to find acceptance.
Along with Justin Lyon (producer), Jason deVilliers (editor), and Richard Bennett (designer), Clark is a partner in StoryLand Entertainment, a production company.
- It was primarily filmed in St. George, Utah and the Las Vegas Valley.
- Scenes were also shot at Dixie State College of Utah.
- Filming completed at the end of August 2010.
- In October 2011, the producers revealed that they are currently seeking distribution and are exploring alternative models such as online streaming, VOD, iTunes, Netflix, Redbox and Hulu.